Melting temp of neucleotide sequence

B Lauder R.Lauder at
Fri Jan 10 08:06:18 EST 1997

I wonder if anybody can help me out here - I'm a Biochemist but not a
molecular biologist (That's not the problem) and I'm have a lot of
diffuculty finding an equation for the estimation of the melting
temeperature of a nucleotide sequence based upon G+C content and the
[Na]. Obviously I've failed otherwise I'd not be posting this.

I've tried a number of gereral textbooks to no avail. The really annoying
thing is that I know I've seen such an equation but I just can't remeber it -
I do recall the Tm was dependant upon the log[Na] I think.

Anyway, any help - pointers or an equation ? Thanks

Biological Sciences, Lancaster University, UK #
R.Lauder at