hybond

Mike Chao mikechao at hamon.swmed.edu
Thu Jan 16 15:40:01 EST 1997

In article <33EC032025 at puskin.sote.hu>, SZABADKAI at PUSKIN.SOTE.HU
("Szabadkai Gyorgy") wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I tried to use Hybond N membranes for dot blots of RNA and DNA, but
>the DNA signal has lost somehow. I denaturated the DNA by boiling for
>5 minutes and then fixed on the membrane by UV crosslinking (1200
>mJ/cm2). The probe was ok, I checked it.
>What kind of denaturation and fixation do you use for this memebrane?
>

>Szabadkai Gyorgy

for denaturing we use akaline (i.e., the standard NaOH/NaCl solution for
most Southerns), UV X-linking for fixation. For Hybond we found that if you
wash the membrane with clean H2O after X-linking and just before adding hyb
buffer, this reduces background.

Mike

Mike Chao
UTSW Medical Center @ Dallas