Mol Bio Short Course

Michael Douglas mpdougla at syr.edu
Thu Jan 16 19:51:29 EST 1997

Here are some courses for specific techniques available via perkin-elmer or
visit their website at www.perkin-elmer.com

hope it helps......

mike

Courses in Genetic Analysis

Methods in PCR: An Introductory Course. This course is designed for scientists with little or no previous PCR experience.
During three days of lectures and laboratory sessions, the student will gain a solid understanding of PCR methodology and the
recommended procedures for successful amplification of DNA and RNA. Lecture topics will cover the basics of DNA
structure, optimization of the PCR process, major applications, and troubleshooting. The laboratory sessions will include basic
PCR reactions, PCR product visualization by gel electrophoresis, reaction optimization, and RNA PCR. This course is
regularly scheduled at both our Foster City location and at the Perkin Elmer training facility in Norwalk, Connecticut. However,
during the year, this workshop may also be scheduled at other sites around the U.S. Contact the Technical Training
Administrator at 1-800-874-9868, Ext. 5015 for the latest information on the these additional workshops.

Date
                      Location*
                                            Course Fee: $900.00**
July 10-12
                      Foster City, CA
December 11-13
                      Foster City, CA

*This workshop can also be provided at a customer's facility if adequate enrollment can be achieved. For information on this option, contact
our Training Administrator at 1-800-874-9868.

ABI Prism(tm) 377 Automated DNA Sequencer: Basic Instrument Training. This three-day course covers the basics of
ABI Prism(tm) 377 DNA Sequencer operation. The course covers the effective use of the Collection and Sequencing Analysis
Software, gel pouring, DNA sequencing chemistries, instrument operation, and troubleshooting.

Date
                       Location*
                                             Course Fee: $1200.00
September 4-6
                       Foster City, CA
November 13-15
                       Foster City, CA

Advanced Methods in DNA Sequencing. This course provides advanced training for users of ABI Prism DNA Sequencing
Systems in the latest methods in fluorescent DNA sequencing. The focus will be on the PCR process as a means to prepare
template DNA followed by direct sequencing using DyeDeoxy(tm) Terminators. PCR product will be analyzed using
GeneScan(tm) software. Data editing and evaluation will be performed using the Sequence Navigator(tm). Class discussion will
include optimization of DNA sequencing reactions, sequencing of difficult templates, and effective interfacing with the
automated sequencer and its software.

Date
                       Location
                                             Course Fee: $1500.00
August 28-30
                       Foster City, CA
October 9-11
                       Foster City, CA
November 20-22
                       Foster City, CA

Advanced Methods in Fluorescent Genotyping. This two-day course is intended for GeneScan(tm) customers using
Genotyper software to perform automatic analysis of fluorescent PCR products. Experimental course-work will include
multiple labeling strategies, Genescan version 1 and 2 Software Applications, Genotyper Templates, and solutions to common
problems.

Date
                              Location
                                                 Course Fee: $900.00
October 31-November 1
                              Foster City, CA

                                           Return to top

Forensic AmpliType® PM+DQA1 PCR Amplification and Typing Workshop. This seven-day workshop is designed to
train forensic scientists in the use of the combined AmpliType® PM + DQA1 PCR Amplification and Typing Kit and the
QuantiBlot(tm) Human DNA Quantitation Kit on sexual assault evidence.

Date
                      Location
                                            Course Fee: $1,700.00
July 22-30
                      Foster City, CA
November 4-12
                      Foster City, CA

New Methods in Forensic PCR Amplification and Typing Workshop. This course provides hands-on laboratory
instruction on the use of the AmpliFLP(tm) D1S80 PCR Amplification Kit and the analysis of Fluorescent STRs. Class
discussions will include the human identification techniques currently under development at Roche Molecular Systems and
Perkin-Elmer.

Date
                        Location
                                              Course Fee: $800.00
July 31-August 2
                        Foster City, CA
November 13-15
                        Foster City, CA

Course Fee for both Forensic Workshops: $2,200.00

Analysis of Fluorescent STRs. This three-day course is designed to train forensic scientists and those involved in human
identity testing in the use of the ABI Automated DNA Sequencers for the analysis of fluorescently-labeled STR products. The
course places a heavy focus on instrument/Macintosh operation and use of the GeneScan Analysis Software.

Date
                    Location
                                           Course Fee: $1200.00
December 2-4
                    Foster City, CA

                                           Return to top

Courses in Peptide Synthesis

Model 433 Peptide Synthesizer Operation and Maintenance. Lecture topics will include advanced programming,
synthesis optimization, suggested maintenance procedures, and basic troubleshooting. The laboratory sessions will include
peptide synthesis based on advanced programming lecture topics, basic troubleshooting, and routine maintenance.

Date
                     Location
                                           Course Fee: $1200.00
October 15-18
                     Foster City, CA

Advanced Methods in DNA Sequencing. This course provides advanced training for users of ABI Prism DNA Sequencing
Systems in the latest methods in fluorescent DNA sequencing. The focus will be on the PCR process as a means to prepare
template DNA followed by direct sequencing using DyeDeoxy(tm) Terminators. PCR product will be analyzed using
GeneScan(tm) software. Data editing and evaluation will be performed using the Sequence Navigator(tm). Class discussion will
include optimization of DNA sequencing reactions, sequencing of difficult templates, and effective interfacing with the
automated sequencer and its software.

Date
                      Location
                                            Course Fee: $1500.00
February 21-23
                      Foster City, CA
April 17-19
                      Foster City, CA
June 5-7
                      Foster City, CA

Advanced Methods in Fluorescent Genotyping. This two-day course is intended for GeneScan(tm) customers using
Genotyper software to perform automatic analysis of fluorescent PCR products. Experimental course-work will include
multiple labeling strategies, Genescan version 1 and 2 Software Applications, Genotyper Templates, and solutions to common
problems.

Date
                Location
                                         Course Fee: $900.00
April 4-5
                Foster City, CA
May 9-10
                Foster City, CA

Use of the Model 373 DNA Sequencer for the Analysis of Fluorescent STRs. This three-day course is designed to train
forensic scientists and those involved in human identity testing in the use of the Model 373 Automated DNA Sequencer for the
analysis of fluorescently-labeled STR products. The course places a heavy focus on instrument/Macintosh operation and use of
the GeneScan Analysis Software.

Date
                           Location
                                               Course Fee: $1200.00
February 28-March 1
                           Foster City, CA

In Situ PCR. This introductory course will cover sample preparation, cell fixation, in situ PCR amplification, detection of PCR
product, and operation of the GeneAmp® In Situ PCR System 1000 Thermal Cycler.

Date
                 Location
                                          Course Fee: $600.00
May 29-31
                 Foster City, CA
May 15-17
                 Norwalk, CT

                                           Return to top

Courses in Protein Synthesis and Sequencing

Model 430A Peptide Synthesizer Maintenance and Troubleshooting. Lecture topics will include basic programming,
suggested maintenance procedures, and basic chemistry troubleshooting. The laboratory sessions will include troubleshooting
flow and hardware problems, replacing worn parts, and basic electronic troubleshooting using the Model 430A's self test
diagnostic menu.

Date
                 Location
                                         Course Fee: $1200.00
June 11-14
                 Foster City, CA

Model 433 Peptide Synthesizer Operation and Maintenance. Lecture topics will include advanced programming,
synthesis optimization, suggested maintenance procedures, and basic troubleshooting. The laboratory sessions will include
peptide synthesis based on advanced programming lecture topics, basic troubleshooting, and routine maintenance.

Date
                 Location
                                         Course Fee: $1200.00
April 23-26
                 Foster City, CA

Model 473/476 Protein Sequencer Operation and Maintenance. This course covers operation of the Models 473/476,
instrument maintenance, optimization, troubleshooting and 610 Software.

Date
                 Location
                                         Course Fee: $1200.00
May 14-17
                 Foster City, CA

Course Registration
Course registration is on a first come, first served basis and enrollments are limited to facilitate full class participation. Tuition
fees (check, VISA, MasterCard, or purchase order) are due at the time of registration. Tuition includes lunch on each day and
course text materials. It is the sole responsibility of each attendee to arrange travel, local transportation, and hotel reservations.
San Francisco International Airport is the closest airport to the Foster City campus. Further information concerning hotel
accommodations and class locations will be provided upon registration.

To register for a course, call 1-800-874-9868, ext. 5015 from 9 AM to 5 PM PST.

In article <9700098528.AA852849972 at uu1500.epitope.com> jkellogg at epitope.com
("Jill Kellogg") writes:>From: jkellogg at epitope.com ("Jill Kellogg")