baterial grew on plates but not in liquid culture

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Fri Jan 24 15:43:12 EST 1997

Wei Shao (shaow at FCRFV1.NCIFCRF.GOV) wrote:

> I am trying to express a viral protease in E.coli. The gene is cloned
> into pET24.  I transformed BL21 (DE3) with the contruct. The E.coli
> grew fine on plates with Kanamycine or Kanamycine plus glucose. But,
> when I tried to grow it in liquid medium with same kanamycine or
> kanamycine plus glucose. It did not grow. Then, I transformed
> DH5alpha with it. It grew fine. This seem suggest that the protein is
> toxic (it is a protease anyway).  What I do not understand is why
> transformed BL21 grew on plate, but not in liguid culture?  any
> suggestions?

BL21 is a sick puppy to begin with! I've many problems with this strain.

> Also, I am thinking to use Novagen's plys system to get tighter
> control. Any other suggestions?

Have look at the vectors in this reference....They're free :-)

@article{Mertens1995,
author = "N. Mertens
     and E. Remaut
     and W. Fiers",
title = "Tight transcriptional control mechanism ensures
stable high--level expression from {T7} promoter--based
expression plasmids",
journal = "Bio/Technology",
volume = "13",
pages = "175-179",