Silver staining - PCR SSCP

Gregory S. Buzard 'Buz' buzardg at MAIL.NCIFCRF.GOV
Mon Jan 27 19:04:42 EST 1997

Paulo Santos wrote:
I'm looking for a silver staining protocol for PCR-SSCP. I intend to use
this for HLA DNA crossmatch for bone marrow transplantation, so I need
an high sensitive and rapid way to visualize short and weak fragments.

I don't think that you can beat SYBR Green II from Molecular Probes for
staining an SSCP gel. 10 mins of hands-off staining, with a sensitivity
of silver staining, much more reproducible, and cost effective, if you
are paying money to have someone work in the lab.