PCR specificity

Els Van Geldre Els.VanGeldre at rug.ac.be
Mon Jan 27 09:35:39 EST 1997

Hi there,

Lately, I performed some PCR reactions with different MgCl2
concentrations (1.5mM, 3mM and 4.5 mM) in order to optimize my PCR
conditions. What surprised me was that with the same primercombination
and template, but different MgCl2 concentration, I got products of
diffent lengths. In other cases the MgCl2 concentration influenced the
number of PCR products I obtained (from 1 PCR product to 5 PCR products
for the same primercombination and template, but other MgCl2
concentration). I am aware of the fact that MgCl2 plays a very important
role in PCR succes, but is it normal that it also influences the number
of PCR products and thus the specificity of the PCR reaction ?

Thanks for answering,
Els