Need protocol for lacZ staining

Pamela Norton pnorton at
Thu Jul 3 13:13:29 EST 1997

In article <33B7CC5F.507C at>, Gary Kucera
<kucera~gt at> wrote:

> Can anyone send me via e-mail a protocol for lacZ staining of mouse
> embryos (or culutured eukaryotic cells).  The protocol I have is giving
> me a headache.
> Thanks.
> --
> Gary T. Kucera, Research Scientist
> Functional Genetics/Transgenics Group
> GlaxoWellcome Research, Inc.
> Five Moore Drive
> Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
> kucera~gt at

     I highly recommend that you check out the following URL:

     In addition to lots of great info on mice and rats, there is a link to
a long guide to lacZ staining, with many hints and tips. Thanks to Eric
Mercer for creating this resource.

     I can send a copy of our protocol to you. However, it might be helpful
if you provide a little more detail one just why your protocol is giving
you a headache. Background? Too light? etc...

     Pam Norton

Pamela A. Norton, Ph.D.          Associate Professor of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University
Philadelphia, PA 19107           p_norton at