SYPRO orange stain on PhastSystem gels ?

Vadim Kraynov vkraynov at pop.service.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jul 3 23:10:53 EST 1997

Randy,

Thanks for this suggestion ! You are probably right - I 'm not sure what the
gel backing consists of, but it probably does block UV.  I was thinking about
removing the backing somehow, but the gel is really fragile, and I couldn't
find the way.  I'll try illuminating it from above.

The problem , however, is that I NEED to TRANSilluminate in order to
photograph.

 This dye, if works, would provide a great alternative to time-consuming
silver staining, with  practically the same sensitivity, plus easy
"photographability" - just like regular EB stained agarose DNA gels.   Cheers

Vadim