DNA purifications

D. KIM dkim at NMSU.Edu
Thu Jul 3 12:55:26 EST 1997

Richard M L <lm11 at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
: Dwight M. Nance <dwight at dwight.path.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
: : I would like to purify DNA fragements from agarose gels (normal agarose)
: : that range from 200-600bp in length. Does anyone have suggestions as to
: : which kits work the best

: : JM

: Kit is not necessary, a small tube called SPIN-X is enough. Many
: manufacturers provide this kind of tube, what you do is:

An alternative is to use an aerosol barrier pipet tip.  Use the cheap ones
that are not "blocking".  Place the gel slice in the top of the tip, above
the barrier, and then place the tip in an open Eppendorf tube.  Spin
gently for a minute (A hard spin bends the end of the tip, sometimes
closing the opening.).  Do what you will with the eluate.

I often freeze the gel slice in the tip, then spin through. I do not know
if this improves yield, but it is a habit from my "freeze-squeeze" days.

Daniel Kim