extractind DNA from Acrylamide gels

Jiri Macas macas at latin.fcr.arizona.edu
Tue Jul 8 20:00:02 EST 1997

Jim Hill wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to elute enough DNA from a silver-stained PAG slice in order
> to re-amplify the DNA by PCR. Does anyone  know the simplest way to do
> this?
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,

Just soak the gel in deionized water for 30 min, cut out the band and
put part of it (1/4 or 1/2) directly to PCR reaction. You can store the
rest in -20 (but add 10 ul of sterile water to prevent drying).
We use this method routinely for amplification of fragments from large
sequencing gels stained by Silver Sequence Staining Reagents (Promega),
and amplification almost never fails, using only 20 cycles of PCR.

Jiri Macas
macas at latin.fcr.arizona.edu