T7 lysome come from pLysS cause lysis?

Xavier De Bolle Xavier.DeBolle at fundp.ac.be
Wed Jul 9 04:15:12 EST 1997

In article (Dans l'article) <33b09703.34112724 at usenet.seri.re.kr>,
e_yckim at cais.kaist.ac.kr wrote (écrivait) :

> Hi!!
>
> We performed fed-batch fermentation using pLysS containg E. coli.
> After IPTG induction, we acheived ca 90 g/L of DCW.  But a lots of
> cells are lysed.   I think cell lysis is common problem in high cell
> density.  But, I also wonder the T7 lysome produced by pLysS cause
> lysis.  In some reference, relatively high levels of T7 lysome can be
> tolerated by E. coli, because the protein is unable to pass through
> the inner membrane to reach the peptidoglycan layer.  But,  I think,
> in high cell density, cells are not in normal conditions.  So, the T7
> lysome enhance the cell lysis.
> Do you have any comment?
> Or Do you have some reference about pLysS plasmid (especially, amount
> of T7 lysome produced, effect on cell lysis.)

I think that if some cells are disrupted by accident, they will produce
T7lysozyme that will lyse others cells and so on ... so this could be a
"reproductible accident" since it is probable that some cells are
disrupted in a culture...

Xavier

--
Xavier De Bolle, PhD.
Research Unit of Molecular Biology (URBM)
       B-5000 Namur, Belgium        e-mail Xavier.DeBolle at fundp.ac.be