How do I keep KOAc from crystalizing?

Richard L lm11 at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Mon Jul 14 20:43:36 EST 1997

Dear David,

I heard of KAc critalizing in soln III, although I never met it. If you
believe following 2 points, your problem wouldn't be a problem any more:

1. KAc crytalizing doesn't affect your experiment

2. Autoclaving Soln III is not necessary. "Molecular Cloning" didn't
mention autoclaving it(I wonder if the critalization is related to the
autoclve).

Does this help?

Richard

David Neece <dneece at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
: The potassuim acetate solution I'm using for alkaline lysis minipreps keeps
: crystalizing.  One batch was made, put into two bottles, and autoclaved
-- one
: bottle crystalized, the other didn't.  The latest batch sat on the bench
for a
: couple of days and was OK, but crystalized this morning within 30
minutes after
: the first use.

: I'm following the recipe in Current Protocols, including autoclaving.  I'm
: wondering if the quality of KOAc makes any difference...(currently using
Fisher
: Certified ACS).

: Any thoughts welcome.

: Dave Neece