How do I keep KOAc from crystalizing?

David Neece dneece at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 14 15:42:30 EST 1997

The potassuim acetate solution I'm using for alkaline lysis minipreps keeps
crystalizing.  One batch was made, put into two bottles, and autoclaved -- one
bottle crystalized, the other didn't.  The latest batch sat on the bench for a
couple of days and was OK, but crystalized this morning within 30 minutes after
the first use.

I'm following the recipe in Current Protocols, including autoclaving.  I'm
wondering if the quality of KOAc makes any difference...(currently using Fisher
Certified ACS).

Any thoughts welcome.

Dave Neece
University of Illinois