PCR workbench/-flow bench:necessary?

Andrew Doherty a.doherty at bris.ac.uk
Wed Jul 16 03:46:38 EST 1997

Carsten Hohoff wrote:

> Dear netters,
>
> I am interested in your opinion/experiences:
>
> is a PCR workbench (UV irradiation only) or a PCR laminar flow bench
> necessary for 'good laboratory praxis' PCR ? If so, which type is used, what
> are pros and cons?
>
> Thank you very much in advance,
>
> Carsten Hohoff
> Dept of Biochem
> Univ of Muenster
> Tel. ++49-251-8333209
> Fax: ++49-251-8333206
> hohoff at uni-muenster.de
Personally, I've never found it necessary to use these things, even when
doing quantitative RT-PCR from total RNA! As long as the bench is clean,
reasonably free of nucleases, you're careful about wearing gloves and
all solutions are kept separate, there should be no problem.

Hope it helps

Andy D
Dr Andrew Doherty		email -  a.doherty at bris.ac.uk
Dept. Anatomy			Tel (0117)9287421
School of Medical Sciences	Fax (0117)9287402
University of Bristol
University Walk
Bristol UK
BS8 1TD