RNA primer extension

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 03:45:09 EST 1997

In article <5qdarm$m88$1 at oravannahka.Helsinki.FI>, Sami K J Kukkonen
<skjkukko at cc.helsinki.fi> writes
>Has anyone used an RNA polymerase to extend an RNA primer annealed to a
>DNA template?

I don't know if an RNA primer would anneal but I would think it would
but why use an RNA primer, why not a much cheaper DNA primer?

>Which RNA polymerases should work?

What are you trying to make, RNA or DNA? If RNA then you need a DNA
dependant RNA polymerase like T7 or SP6. If you want DNA then Klenow etc
would be needed.

>If there are no T7 or SP6 promoters present in the DNA template, would
>those RNA polymerases be able to extend the RNA primer?

No, unless the primer contains the promoter sequence as well as some
sequence to let it anneal to the DNA.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark