KODAK DC for gel doc. system?

June Eva Paciga jpaciga at com1.med.usf.edu
Mon Jul 21 13:37:41 EST 1997

Baylor Molecular Genetics Lab wrote:

> Does anybody tried to use Kodak DC 40 or 120 for gel documentation system?
> We will be appreciate for shearing your experience with those cameras.
> Yerlan
>
> --
> Baylor Molecular Genetics Laboratory
> (817) 755-1050
>
> http://diogenes.baylor.edu/WWWproviders/molecular_genetics/home.html

I am currently assessing (with a Demo unit) the DC40 camera and
software, known as the EDAS(Electrophoresis Documentation and Analysis
System) from KODAK.  So far, so good.  We are planning to purchase the
system but will wait until later this month when the DC120 comes out.
The new camera promises to have better resolution.  However, the DC40
resolution for gel documentation was fine.  The DC120 will also have
zoom capabilities, which would eliminate the need for close up lenses,
and an LCD to instantly display the images.  I like the system because
you can use it thethered to the computer or as a portable camera, which
has proven to be very convenient.  I've taken pictures of EtBr and SYBR
Green stained gels on a UV transilluminator, which is what I am most
interested in; Polaroid negatives of EtBr and SYBR Green stained agarose
and X-Ray film of ddrt/pcr on a light box; and of various departmental
staff members using the automatic flash feature of the camera.

To obtain the best image of gels stained with SYBR Green I Kodak
provided us with a SYBR Green filter which attaches to the DC40 camera.
In addition to the SYBR Green filter the system came with a hood and
some close up lenses and a filter for ethidium bromide stained gels.
The images are very good and I like the software for the analysis.  I am
doing semi-quantitative RT/PCR. It's very easy to define lanes on the
gel and then automaticly detect bands; you can adjust the sensitivity of
band detection.  If you run a molecular weight standard, you can obtain
the M.W. of your bands in addition to band mass.  If you don't run a
standard, you can define the location of a band as Mobility, which is
measured from the top of where you marked the lane to the band and then
obtain a Net Intensity for the band, which is the sum of all the pixel
intensities in the band rectangle minus background intensity.

This is my experience with the system so far. I like it a lot. It gives
me the information I need and it is not as expensive as many of the
other gel doc systems I have seen that use video cameras and are
dedicated to a single source and set size. In fact, a representative of
Kodak asked me why anyone needs a video camera to photograph a gel since
the gel isn't moving. Good point!  I hope this information helps.  You
can contact me if you have any other questions.  In addition check out
the info about the system from Kodak from the www address below.  I
originally downloaded the demo version they have available on line, then
I called Kodak to set up a demo with the camera and the complete
software.

June Eva Paciga

http://www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/webCatalog.pl?product=KODAK+DIGITAL+SCIENCE+1D+Image+Anaylsis+Software

P.S. I am not in anyway affiliated with Kodak