efficient use of gcg

David M. Eisenmann eisenman at cmgm.stanford.edu
Tue Jul 22 20:25:15 EST 1997

In article <newitt-ya02408000R2207971736280001 at news.nih.gov>,
newitt at nih.gov (John A. Newitt) wrote:

> In article <01BC943C.EC4625A0.mdorbell at es.co.nz>,
> "diane at phyton.otago.ac.nz" <diane at phyton.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> > I would like to search a large number of sequences to determine their
> > susceptibility to being cut by two restriction digests.
> >
> > I know that the map command can be used to search a particular sequence to
> > find restriction digest sites but is there a command that I can use to
> > search multiple sequences at once?  It seems pretty tedious to have to
> > search each sequence individually for the same enzyme sites.

It used to be the case in an older version of GCG that if your directory
contained all the sequence files, you could then make one new file (eg.,
call it List) that was just a list of file names, and when the program (in
this case MAP) asked you which file to use, you entered the name of that
new file preceded by an at symbol (@List).  It then ran the program on all
the files whose names were listed in @List.  I don't know if this still
works, but I bet the answer would be found in the appendixes of GCG.

Dave
--
David M. Eisenmann
Dept. of Biological Sciences