efficient use of gcg

John A. Newitt newitt at nih.gov
Tue Jul 22 17:36:28 EST 1997

In article <01BC943C.EC4625A0.mdorbell at es.co.nz>,
"diane at phyton.otago.ac.nz" <diane at phyton.otago.ac.nz> wrote:

> I would like to search a large number of sequences to determine their
> susceptibility to being cut by two restriction digests.
>
> I know that the map command can be used to search a particular sequence to
> find restriction digest sites but is there a command that I can use to
> search multiple sequences at once?  It seems pretty tedious to have to
> search each sequence individually for the same enzyme sites.

I believe you can use the FINDPATTERNS program in GCG to locate the
restriction sites. You can search multiple sequences, even whole databases
at a time.

Regards,

John A. Newitt, Ph.D.           |   <newitt at nih.gov>
National Institutes of Health   |   FAX: 301-402-0387
Bethesda, Maryland  USA         |