Recycling Coomassie destain

Thu Jul 24 10:30:39 EST 1997

At 12:19 AM 7/24/97 -0700, WERTEN wrote:
>Dear colleagues,
>
>In order to reduce the amount of chemical waste, our lab would like to recycle
>the MeOH/HAc destain we use for Coomassie stained gels, by removing the stain.
>Has anyone figured out a convenient way of doing this? Is activated carbon the
>best thing to use, or will filtration through a thick stack of paper do?
>
>Any suggestions are welcome,
>Thanks,
>
>Marc Werten (m.w.t.werten at ato.dlo.nl)
>Dept. Microbial Conversions
>Agrotechnological Research Institute (ATO-DLO)
>Bornsesteeg 59
>6708 PD Wageningen
>The Netherlands
>
>FAX: +31.317.475347

Cellulosic and polyester materials absorb CBB. For small amounts of the
destain, simply drop a few paper towels or tissues in it and the CBB is
absorbed, leaving behind clean destain. For bulk volumes, you may use
unusable foam(polyester) stoppers or pieces of similar packing materials.
These have almost infinite capacity to absorb CBB. If the storage bottle is
capped securely, such regenerated destains can be used five to ten times.
Near the end, though, you may need do spike it with MeOH.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003