Recycling Coomassie destain

Wolfgang Schechinger wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Jul 24 03:49:20 EST 1997

Hi.

I suggest distillation of the mix. But I can't warrant that, if you
store the sol'n, that you also will get methyl acetate since MeOH and
HOAc will react (in a chemical equilibrium) to the ester. I only can
say that I used a premixed sol'n stored at RT for more than three
weeks without problems.

You alternatively could switch to a more water soluble dye a ponceau
red, that is easily destained with a buffer containing gelatin or
othe proteins.

Wolfgang

> Dear colleagues,
>
> In order to reduce the amount of chemical waste, our lab would like
> to recycle the MeOH/HAc destain we use for Coomassie stained gels,
> by removing the stain. Has anyone figured out a convenient way of
> doing this? Is activated carbon the best thing to use, or will
> filtration through a thick stack of paper do?
>
> Any suggestions are welcome,
> Thanks,
>
> Marc Werten (m.w.t.werten at ato.dlo.nl)
> Dept. Microbial Conversions
> Agrotechnological Research Institute (ATO-DLO)
> Bornsesteeg 59
> 6708 PD Wageningen
> The Netherlands
>
> FAX: +31.317.475347