Recycling Coomassie destain

Chia Jin Ngee mcblab47 at
Fri Jul 25 02:20:07 EST 1997

Wolfgang Schechinger (wgschech at wrote:
: Hi.

: I suggest distillation of the mix. But I can't warrant that, if you
: store the sol'n, that you also will get methyl acetate since MeOH and
: HOAc will react (in a chemical equilibrium) to the ester. I only can
: say that I used a premixed sol'n stored at RT for more than three
: weeks without problems.

: You alternatively could switch to a more water soluble dye a ponceau
: red, that is easily destained with a buffer containing gelatin or
: othe proteins.

: Wolfgang

: > Dear colleagues,
: >
: > In order to reduce the amount of chemical waste, our lab would like
: > to recycle the MeOH/HAc destain we use for Coomassie stained gels,
: > by removing the stain. Has anyone figured out a convenient way of
: > doing this? Is activated carbon the best thing to use, or will
: > filtration through a thick stack of paper do?

I suggest that you microwave the stained gels in water. Check Technical
Tips Online for details. A rather environmentally friendly destain which
is cheap and can be discarded rather easily.

I've tried it and it really works.

Jin Ngee, Chia
(Genie, the OligoMan)
mcblab47 at

Views and opinions expressed are solely mine and not of my employer's.
Any further grievances can be settled over a Virtua Fighter 3 match.