Do I have a peptide signal sequence?

Manuel G. Claros yo at aqui.mismo
Fri Jul 25 12:35:25 EST 1997

In article <33CE2507.DA3 at ens-lyon.fr>, alprovos at ens-lyon.fr wrote:

 > know if I have the N-terminal extremity or not. This is the first
 > amino acids of my sequence :
 > MERMFEARWVNSSTVECVHVLLHTSEKSHLFPINLQLKDRPDRFI.....

You can ask Dr Paul Wrede (wrede at zedat.fu-berlin.de) since he has
constructed several neural networks to predict signal peptides. you can
aslo aks the server signalp at cbs.dtu.dk that will reply the answer by
e-mail.

In the EMBL server ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/software/ you can have the macintosh
applications PLOT/A.SIG or Signalase, or UNIX applications Signal or
SigCleave.

Transmembrane domains can be easily predicted with TopPred II that can be
obtained from the EMBL server or ftp.ens.fr/pub/molbio/

More informations: Claros, Brunak & von Heijne (1997) "Prediction of
N-Terminal protein sorting signals" Curr Opin Struct Biol 7, 394-398.
Manuel G. Claros, Ph.D.             claros at uma.es
Bioquímica y Biología Molecular
Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad de Malaga