Recycling Coomassie destain

Chris Kafer ckafer at iastate.edu
Thu Jul 24 20:55:56 EST 1997

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:23:44 -0500, newitt at nih.gov (John A. Newitt)
wrote:

>In a previous laboratory, we used activated carbon in an old tube gel
>destaining apparatus that I believe used to be sold by Hoefer (probably
>isn't on the market anymore). This was a perfect setup for recycling
>destain. All you had to do was pour in the stain and place the apparatus on
>a magnetic stir platform. The stir bar created a flow through the carbon
>filter and rapidly removed the CBB from the destain. The carbon lasted for
>many cycles, but the filter could also be refilled with fresh activated
>carbon when it began to lose binding activity. If you decide to use a
>similar setup, you may want to keep it in a fume hood.

Our lab uses a similar setup.  Our apparatus is also a tube w/carbon
and stir bar.  We use it to destain our gels and not just to
regenerate the destain.  All you have to do is keep the tank topped
off w/ destain sol'n.   The carbon lasts for months and the destain
nearly indefinitely as it is constantly regenerated.

Also eliminates the need to transfer the gel to fresh destain several
times.  Simply put the stained gel in the tank in a piece of screen
and turn the stir bar on.  The CBB is continually removed as it
diffuses out of the gel and is drawn thru the carbon.

Check the Fisher catalog.  It's a very handy gizmo!