polyadenylation signal

Steven Sullivan sullivan at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Sun Jun 1 04:00:24 EST 1997

While AAUAAA appears to be the most efficient signal in HeLa cell extract
assays, variations are tolerated (Sheets MD et al., [1990] Nucleic Acids
Res 18:5799-5805).  AUUAAA is the most common one; I have also seen AAUAUA
in some Xenopus sequences.  See also this review:

Baker, EJ  1993  "Control of poly(A) length" in Control of Messenger RNA
Stability. J.G. Belasco and G. Brawerman, eds. San Diego:Academic PRess,
pp 367-415

 Miss. V.M. Hodges (vhodges at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk)
wrote:

: I have isolated a number of murine cDNAs by differential display, but some
: of them appear not to have a polyadenylation signal (AATAAA) even though
: they have what appears to be a poly A tail.
: Is there an alternative signal to AATAAA?
: Should I worry?
: Any advice would be appreciated.
: Thanks
: Vivien.