semi-dry transfer apparatus

Paul N. Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Mon Jun 2 12:32:43 EST 1997

Minh Q. Nguyen (mqn1 at uci.edu) wrote:

> I know this topic came up before, but can someone tell me which company
> carries the best overall semi-dry transfer apparatus.

It depends on what you want to do with it, cost, personal preference for
which
way (up or down) you want the transfer to go, and choice of material for
the
electrodes.  The one I have is the Hoefer Semi-Phor TE-70, but you might
not
like that the transfer goes downward, not upward like a Southern would.
Therefore, the membrane has to be on the bottom, which forces you the
make
several flips of the sandwich before blotting. Just try to put a gel on
top
of a membrane ;-)

A short review of that topic was in the May 1997 issue of TIBS:

@article{Hengen1997Maytibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Protecting vector {DNA} from {UV}
light",
volume = "22",
number = "5",
pages = "182-183",
month = "may",
year = "1997"}

P.S. I will post the Pointer to the FAQ list ASAP.
I am having difficulties with out news service just now.

--
Paul N. Hengen, Ph.D.
National Cancer Institute
mailto:pnh at ncifcrf.gov