Circle Grow

ROBERT BUTCHER rdjbutcher at biolsci.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Jun 2 04:38:02 EST 1997

In article <1997May29.111643.3846 at leeds.ac.uk> daniellh at biovax.leeds.ac.uk writes:
>From: daniellh at biovax.leeds.ac.uk
>Subject: Circle Grow
>Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:16:43 +0100 (BST)

>Hi, Circle grow was used in our lab a while ago instead of LB, and was
>apparently very good. However, there is no manufacturers name on the
>bottle, and we have no instructions! Has anyone used this (it comes
>in pellets), and could they let me know the manufacturers name and/or
>how many pellets in what volume of water is needed to be equivalent to
>LB media for growing DH5 alpaha e-coli.
>Thanks in advance for any info, Dani.
>e-mail direct to meddh at medphysics.leeds.ac.uk

Hi, we used CG a lot before (came as a powder then) returning to LB due to
cost. Myself i was growing highcopy number plasmids (pKS and M13mp18 etc pUC
derivatives) so cant comment upon low copy number plasmid propogations.
However, with DH10a, DH5a and XL1-B hosts the growth rate is faster and the
cell density attained at late log-stationary phase about 3 fold higher. The
miniprep yields by various methods was about 4-5 fold higher than LB so the
number of plasmid copies per cell probably didnt alter dramatically, just the
number of cells per ml. However, remember this may not be the case for low
copy number plasmids which may be improved more!
However, we found that (again for these high copy plasmids only, so i cant
comment on low ones) if you enrich LB by doubling the yeast extract, adding
50% more tryptone and similar peptone and reduce NaCl by 10%, you get a media
that is nearly as good as CG but a fraction of the price except that
rearrangments of some repetative insert sequences was enhanced slightly.
Good luck,
Rob