PCR/sequencing

Steve Marsh marshsr at ccmail.apldbio.com
Tue Jun 3 23:07:47 EST 1997

In article <5n1oem$1p5$1 at cronkite.seas.gwu.edu>,
sullivan at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Steven Sullivan) wrote:

> The columns are used *after* the sequencing reaction, to desalt and remove
> unincorporated dye terminators

Some people have been using columns before hand to clean up the DNA after
the initial PCR reaction but before the sequencing  reaction. Cleaning up
after the 1st PCR reaction is an important step for the direct sequencing
of PCR products. As I stated some people use a gel clean-up and others use
various types of spin columns. I may not have clearly stated what I meant.
Sorry for any confusion.
Steve Marsh
PE ABD Field Service Engineer Los Angeles