TRANSFECTIONS; role of carrier DNA.

hadi al-hasani hadia at bdg10.niddk.nih.gov
Tue Jun 3 23:06:57 EST 1997

Under certain conditions the carrier DNA might serve as a blocking
agent for endogenous nucleases. By keeping them busy it might increase
the rate of survival of you target DNA (e.g. expression vector),  thus
increasing  the level of expression. However, I expect different roles
of carrier using different methods of transfection.
I've got a 10-50fold increase in gene expression using carrier (w/
electroporation) . Since our cells are floating there is no way that
precipitation of DNA plays any role...

Hadi