semi-dry transfer apparatus

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Tue Jun 3 11:15:36 EST 1997

Minh Q. Nguyen (mqn1 at uci.edu) wrote:

> I know this topic came up before, but can someone tell me which company
> carries the best overall semi-dry transfer apparatus.

It depends on what you want to do with it, cost, personal preference for which
way (up or down) you want the transfer to go, and choice of material for the
electrodes.  The one I have is the Hoefer Semi-Phor TE-70, but you might not
like that the transfer goes downward, not upward like a Southern would.
Therefore, the membrane has to be on the bottom, which forces you the make
several flips of the sandwich before blotting. Just try to put a gel on top
of a membrane ;-)

A short review of that topic was in the May 1997 issue of TIBS:

@article{Hengen1997Maytibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Protecting vector {DNA} from {UV} light",
volume = "22",
number = "5",
pages = "182-183",
month = "may",