Homemade Chemiluminescent Protocols?'

Susan Kramer kramerse at wmvx.dnet.dupont.com
Thu Jun 5 10:22:08 EST 1997

Wolfgang Schechinger <wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote in article
<5n6c5o$igp at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>...
> 1) What is Iodophenol (or Coumarin) actually for? Is it respnsible
> for producing visible light (I've heard from an experiment for cold
> ligh liquids that uses resorcine instead). Thus, is one able to
> control the system's emission wavelenghth an thus one can
> choos/optimize the film or detector used?
> (Looking at the formulas makes me thinks of a quinhydrone complex
> between the iodophenol and the luminol - is this right or am I
> completely wqrong? please correct me.

Quoted from:
Luminescence Immunoassay and Molecular Applications
Editor Knox Van Dyke, Ph.D.
CRC Press
1990

"When phenolic enhancers are used in combination with HRP, the level of
light produced is about 100-fold higher than the nonenhanced reaction and
the blank signal is decreased."

"...the enhancer acts as a kind of cofacter for peroxide activity toward
luminol rather than in the luminescence phenomenon itself."

This is why ECL is called *Enhanced* ChemiLuminescence.  This book is an
excellent reference for those interested in the chemistry of luminol
chemiluminescence.

Researchers should also be aware that the use of PIP as an enhancer for
luminol chemiluminescence is patented.