Homemade Chemiluminescent Protocols?'

Wolfgang Schechinger wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Jun 5 07:41:28 EST 1997

Hi Rex and all out there, I have two questions:

1) What is Iodophenol (or Coumarin) actually for? Is it respnsible
for producing visible light (I've heard from an experiment for cold
ligh liquids that uses resorcine instead). Thus, is one able to
control the system's emission wavelenghth an thus one can
choos/optimize the film or detector used?
(Looking at the formulas makes me thinks of a quinhydrone complex
between the iodophenol and the luminol - is this right or am I
completely wqrong? please correct me.

2) What is "homemade luminol"?

-take 3-Amino phthalic acid
-convert it to the acid chloride e.g. with SO2Cl2
-react with hydrazine
-to yield? luminol?

if right, this would be a nice useful experiment for freshman organic
students.

courious about your comments!

Wolfgang

>   Our lab uses homemade luminol except the protocol we have uses
>   p-coumaric
> > acid instead of p-iodophenol. The lab next door did a
> > sided-by-side comparison with the DuPont stuff and found the fresh
> > homemade luminol to be more sensative (~twice as sensative, I
> > think).
>
> I tried this procedure once upon a time and had reasonably good
> results.  I did notice however, that the exposure time for the
> home-made version was somewhat longer than that of the ECL kit.  Is
> this generally true or did I do somthing wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rex

-----

Wolfgang Schechinger