Looking for information about PCR 'Rapidcycler'

Alexander Kraev kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 5 07:30:51 EST 1997

In article <5n5rsq$ggn at melon.univ-brest.fr>, le Provost Olivier
<Olivier.Le-Provost at univ-ubs.fr> wrote:

> We are about to buy a new PCR and we would like to have any
> information about the rapidcycler from Idaho Technology.
> If you use this PCR, your advice would be very useful for us.

This device is a great back-up for a more conventional one with a metal block.
The reaction goes in a thin glass capillary and the thermocycling is achieved
by a  strong light source and a fan.  In a trial run I could amplify a 0.5
kb target
from both human genomic DNA and from a total cDNA in 15 minutes, using a
10 ul reaction.  The lamp quite substantially bleaches fluorescent label, if you
wanted to use one.  The larger the volume and the number of samples, the more
problematic are the advantages of this machine over a conventional one.

I hope this helps,

--
Alexander Kraev, PhD
Biochemie III, ETHZ Zurich