Help with Whole Mount In-situ

john treml jftreml at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 6 14:52:24 EST 1997

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've been having some trouble with background in using whole mount
in-situ hybridization with riboprobes in mouse embryos.  A light to
dark blue background appears during the alkaline phosphatase reaction.
The specific staining still appears darker, but the blue background
makes for poor photographs.  I know that the background is not due to
pooling of antibody, as I've encountered this previously.  I use a pH
7.5 TBST buffer during immunolabelling.  I use a pH 9.5 NTMT buffer
during the alkaline phosphatase reaction.  I filter all solutions and
have checked the pH of my solutions.  I am wondering if this could be
due to NTB/BCIP reagents, temperature, whatever. I doubt that the
problem is retention of riboprobe (although I typically use 1-2
micrograms per mL during hybridization which may be a little high).  I
doubt that the problem is retention of antibody (as I wash 5-6 times
1-1.5 hrs per wash; and an overnight wash).  Any suggestions about the
possible nature of this problem or alternative protocols would be
greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mark J. Koebbe
mkoebbe at pond.com