Need Fast & Cheap Plasmid Miniprep Kit

Rob Skilton R.SKILTON at CGNET.COM
Fri Jun 6 12:10:43 EST 1997

If you prefer to use a kit, I have found that you can use a Wizard miniprep
kit using half of all the reagents to give essentially a  half yield (but
still enough for doing many sequencing reactions or several digests). The
push/vacuum columns can be washed out and reused several times.
Rob Skilton
 ----------
From: server-daemon
To: bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts mail newsgroup
Subject: Re: Need Fast & Cheap Plasmid Miniprep Kit
Date: Thursday, June 05, 1997 10:07AM

Emad Gharavi (Emad_G at MSN.COM) wrote:
: Dear All:

: Without inciting a war of the KITs, I'd like to ask if anyone knew of a
cheap,
: but decent, commercial miniprep kit.  We will routinely be doing
subcloning
: and sequencing so a fast, reliable and high quality kit would be nice.
I've
: used Qiagen's kits and would normally use them except they're a bit costly
for
: our budget.  And I wouldn't want to be the one to tell our clinical
fellows
: that they'll have to do it the old fashioned way.

: All suggestions would be appreciated

: E Gharavi

: LSU Medical Center
: New Orleans, LA
: Emad_G at msn.com

I used the promega wizard kits and I found it VERY reliable and wasable to
produce excellent sequence.Its one of the cheaper kits as far as I know.
However I have found that simply  doing the Maniatis alkaline lysis prep
gave
equally good results....do you really have to use a kit?

good luck

Stuart Pritchard