XL1-Red mutator E. coli

Kevin A. Morano kmorano at umich.edu
Mon Jun 9 16:37:38 EST 1997

It sorta works.  In my experience, you have to grow MANY generations
before you see any detectable mutations, on the order of two or more
days.  The strain grows really slowly, so getting the recommended number
of generation times takes a while.  For my money, just do a few tubes of
PCR with Taq polymerase - you'll get the same mutagenic efficiency in two
hours.  EMS mutagenesis of DNA in coli works well too, on the order of
1-10% loss of function for a marker gene.

--
Kevin A. Morano
Thiele Lab