short sequencing

Pascal Mertens Pascal.Mertens at
Tue Jun 10 06:53:11 EST 1997

In article (Dans l'article) <339CCF1D.53CF at>, James, Cook,
Universuty wrote (écrivait) :

> Hi all,
> Just hoping for some suggestions with a sequencing problem we are
> having.  We are wanting to obtain the sequence of our DNA about 20bp
> from where the primer attaches.The closest we have achieved so far is
> about 40bp.  Has anyone got any suggestions on how to get closer to
> the primer attachment region.

The problem is that your polymerase has to add  a sufficient number of
labelled nucleotides to have your bands visible, and the closer to your
primer , the less you have!!!
So use a labelled primer.

You need to have your ddNTPs added close to your primer, so don't make any
elongation without your ddNTPs. Directly put your mix (template/oligo with
buffer with enzyme) in your four tubes (each containing one termination

hope this helps

Pascal Mertens
Laboratoire d'Immunologie et Microbiologie
61 Rue de Bruxelles
5000 Namur, BELGIUM
Phone: 32 81 724438
Fax: 32 81 724420