Looking for information about PCR 'Rapidcycler'

Steven Goldberg goldberg at bms.com
Mon Jun 9 13:42:33 EST 1997

In article <5n5rsq$ggn at melon.univ-brest.fr>, le Provost Olivier
<Olivier.Le-Provost at univ-ubs.fr> wrote:

> We are about to buy a new PCR and we would like to have any
> information about the rapidcycler from Idaho Technology.
> If you use this PCR, your advice would be very useful for us.
> Thank You

I recently purchased a Rapidcycler.  The instrument works as advertised
(e.g., a 1000-bp amplification, 30 cycles, takes ca. 40 minutes vs.
2.5-3.0 hr using a conventional thermocycler.  In addition, the reaction
is usually much cleaner in the Rapidcycler.  Amplifying larger samples in
the glass capillary tubes does involve more preparation time but it is
still much faster than thin-walled microfuge tubes (although you can still
use microfuge tubes in the Rapidcycler).

If you do purchase this unit, here's a tip on amplifying larger fragments
(those over 1 kb):  I had no luck using Idaho Technologies' recommended
MgCl2 conditions.  They suggest trying 2-4 mM MgCl2 at 40, 50, or 60oC.  I
need much more MgCl2 at low temperatures for amplification.  For example,
I used 6 mM MgCl2 and 40oC to amplify a 2 kb fragment.  However, once the
condition was established the reaction went quite well.

Hope this information helps.

Steve