E. Coli Growth Curves

Randy Willis willis at gandalf.psf.sickkids.on.ca
Wed Jun 11 11:04:07 EST 1997

Jared Head wrote:
> I want to do a growth curve on my E. coli to see how expression of a
> variety of plasmids affects them; what's the best way?

Jared,

We've always watched bacterial growth by measuring OD.  We tend to use
600nm but I have also used 650nm in the past.  I think that, as long as
it is this range, you should be fine.  I also like to take time points
of bacterial samples to follow expression itself through SDS-PAGE.  You
may find with some systems, that the bugs stop doubling but they
continue to produce more protein, or vice-versa.

Good luck,

Randall C Willis, Researcher
Biochemistry Research, Hospital for Sick Children
3522-555 University Ave
Toronto, ON
M5G 1X8  CANADA

416-813-5933 (ph)  -5022 (fax)