antioxidant assay

Ron Lauener rlauener at unixg.ubc.ca
Mon Jun 16 17:36:05 EST 1997

Hello:

	I am interested in measuring free radical scavenging (antioxidant)
activity in extracts of natural products such as plants or bacteria.  We
are currently using luminol-enhanced chemiluminescence to measure
neutrophil phagocytosis (activation)/reactive oxygen species generation
in a screen for inhibitors of neutrophil activation.  However, false
positives could be produced by test extracts that possess oxygen
radical
scavenging activity; we need to be able to test these extracts for
radical scavenging activity using a simple in-vitro assay (preferably a
colourimetric/fluorescent or luminescent readout.  Thanks very much for
any help you could provide.

--
Ron Lauener Ph.D.
Vancouver, B.C.