Looking for information about PCR 'Rapidcycler'

ISOAI Atsushi aisoai at agc.co.jp
Tue Jun 17 08:21:11 EST 1997

goldberg at bms.com (Steven Goldberg) wrote:
><Olivier.Le-Provost at univ-ubs.fr> wrote:
>
>> We are about to buy a new PCR and we would like to have any
>> information about the rapidcycler from Idaho Technology.

>I recently purchased a Rapidcycler.  The instrument works as advertised
>(e.g., a 1000-bp amplification, 30 cycles, takes ca. 40 minutes vs.
>2.5-3.0 hr using a conventional thermocycler.  In addition, the reaction
>is usually much cleaner in the Rapidcycler.  Amplifying larger samples
in
>the glass capillary tubes does involve more preparation time but it is
>still much faster than thin-walled microfuge tubes (although you can
still
>use microfuge tubes in the Rapidcycler).
>If you do purchase this unit, here's a tip on amplifying larger
fragments
>(those over 1 kb):  I had no luck using Idaho Technologies' recommended
>MgCl2 conditions.  They suggest trying 2-4 mM MgCl2 at 40, 50, or 60oC.
>need much more MgCl2 at low temperatures for amplification.  For
example,
>I used 6 mM MgCl2 and 40oC to amplify a 2 kb fragment.  However, once
the
>condition was established the reaction went quite well.

Hi,
As Steven mentioned, Rapidcycler of Idaho Technology is powerful tool
to save the time. But (I feel) it does not always work well to amplify
the fragment longer than over 500 bp. Sure I know there are several
factors (conditions) to be examined. But several trials are needed and
may be time consumption. So I use the Rapidcycler only when I want to
amplify the short fragment (100 - 300 bp) in the limited time (within
20 min) using the standard condition only. I do not recommend that you
consider the Rapidcycler as a main PCR machine.
Bye.