A Peculiar Event In Tranformation

Ned Mantei mantei at neuro.biol.nospam.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 20 00:08:07 EST 1997

In article <33A7E252.167E at gandalf.psf.sickkids.on.ca>, Randy Willis
<willis at gandalf.psf.sickkids.on.ca> wrote:

> We maintain stocks, but
> typically this is in case we run out of plasmid DNA and NOT for the
> purposes of growths/expressions.  Any suggestions or ideas?

We keep glycerol stocks at -70 C. When needed, scratch off a bit of
material without thawing the rest and streak it out. Last week I did this
with a culture frozen in 1987 and sampled at least 10 times since then,
without problems.
Keeping DNA is still essential, in case of a freezer failure.

--
Ned Mantei
Dept. of Neurobiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology

****remove "nospam" from address before replying****