HeLa transient transfection

Eric Anderson e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org
Tue Jun 24 09:47:56 EST 1997

In article <33AF7CFA.1D895F08 at ruf.uni-freiburg.de>,
grunert at ruf.uni-freiburg.de wrote:

> Hi,
> we try to transfect HeLa cells transiently with pRC/CMV or pBHE vectors
> and CD66 inserts but have very poor expression (transfection with
> lipofectamin (Gibco) 2µg DNA on 80% confluent HeLa cells, 6 well plate)
> 3-5% positive cells after 48h compared with CHO-cells. Has anyone an
> idea or good protocol for efficient transfection of HeLa?
>
> Fritz Grunert
>
> Institute for Immunobiology,
> University of Freiburg, Germany

the people in our lab who transfect HeLa cells use Calcium phosphate
(about 60% efficiency) or DEAE-Dextran (about 80% efficiency).  it's
always been my opinion that you could put HeLa cells in a dirty coke
bottle with a bunch of DNA, shake it up and get 30% transfection! :-)

eric

--
Eric C. Anderson
Sloan-Kettering Institute for Cancer Research
e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org