PCR-Dye question?

Tue Jun 24 12:40:57 EST 1997

At 02:36 PM 6/24/97 GMT, j.r.stephen wrote:

>Hi people,
>
>I have seen an advertisment at some point for a dye you add to PCR mixes to see
>a +/- reaction, ie. it only fluoresces if you get a product. Does anyone know
>what I'm talking about, or am I mixing-dreams and reality again?

 Are you refering to The TaqMan (I think it is named)? It uses specific internal primers with ntd.-conjugated complementary dyes that remain quenched with each other until the ntds are released by the exonuclease activity of the termostable DNA polymerase. So, unless the amplifying primers amplify a target that has the specific internal primer annealed to it, the PCR mix will not fluoresce under the specific light. I believe that this technology is more for diagnostic purposes than for routine PCR with virgin targets.

>While we're at it, does a battery-opperated PCR block for field use exist or was
>that just another dream?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>John

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury