Mutation detection kits

Betsy L. Alberty alsbyte1 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 26 07:30:02 EST 1997

Frederick W. Hyde wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I'm doing some work in the area of mutation detection, looking for a
> test system that will enable me to rapidly screen PCR-amplified
> stretches of DNA for point mutations.
>
> Can anyone suggest a good, reputable, easy-to-use kit for such an
> endeavor? What sort of kits are out there and how easy are they to use?
> I've done very little work in this area and I'm interested in getting a
> product that has a short learning curve. What companies have such kits?
>
> You can either post your responses or just send me E-mail at
> fredhyde at citilink.com to avoid excessive bandwidth.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Fred

Epicentre Technologies has a brand new kit; front end is PCR and back
end is non-Sanger sequencing.  It is ideal for screening lots of
samples.
It is called BESS-T Scan. It will identify and localize	100% of
mutations involving a T, along with frameshifts, insertions, deletions
(everything but a GC/CG transition).  It is superior to SSCP,DGGE,CFLP,
chemical cleavage, mostly because no optimization is involved, and uses
nicer chemicals.