Bac-to-Bac kit?

David Hills david.hills at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Jun 27 08:27:11 EST 1997

I'm sure these kits are good. I used to make baculoviruses the old way -
make your own viral DNA, transfect, look for clear plaques and plaque
purify. I used to get recombinants at about 1/1000 pfu of virus!
I uused a limiting dilutions to pick recombinants and it was pretty
simple when I did that rather than looking down a microscope for days on
end.....
I believe these new kits using linear virus DNA should give >90%
recombinant and it isn';t too much hassle to check expression in a dozen
or so isolates. Compared to other techniques I have experienced like
making MAbs and YACs this is EASY!
Hope this reassures you,
dave