Microfuge Advice Wanted

David Micklem drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 27 08:09:03 EST 1997

In article <5oups1$8cl$1 at mark.ucdavis.edu>, kcsnowden at ucdavis.edu wrote:

>The lab I'm in recently bought an IEC.  We had a couple of problems
>where a couple of the buttons stopped working (so you couldn't adjust
>the time or speed), but the manufacturers sent us a replacement pretty
>much immediately.  Apart from that, I like it - very quiet, gets up
>(and down) to speed quickly, and doesn't have too big a footprint.

Why do they use those silly little button-pads anyway - a timer dial, speed
dial and pulse button a la Eppendorf ones are much quicker and easier to
operate, more reliable etc etc.

The other pet peeve for my 2p is centrifuges with lid-release buttons - at
least one I've used (an MSE I think, but I could be misremembering) jerked
the whole centrifuge as the latch released, nicely disturbing any
phenol/chloroform interface that might have formed during the
centrifugation!

David

--
D.R.Micklem,                                Time flies like an arrow...
Wellcome/CRC Institute,            Fruit flies like a banana.
Cambridge CB2 1QR, UK               Email:drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Unsolicited mail will incur a US$100 processing charge.