DNA extraction from buried corpse

David F. Spencer dspencer at is.dal.ca
Fri Jun 27 13:55:16 EST 1997

In article <dspencer-ya02408000R2706971541430001 at News.Dal.Ca>,
dspencer at is.dal.ca (David F. Spencer) wrote:

> The analysis of the putative Romanov skeletal remains was of course based
> on mitochondrial DNA, not nuclear. This is why much effort was spent
> attempting to get blood samples from people related by maternal inheritance
> to Czar Nikolas' mother, including as I recall Prince Philip the Duke of
> Edinburgh.  I believe the definitive sequence signature was from within the
> apocytochrome B gene.

Supplementary:

Identifying the Czarina and the children clearly required maternal links
through the Czarina's mother but I don't recall the details of how, or
specifically if, that was done.  Much of the identification was based on
computer "mapping" and reconstruction of the skulls, using comparisons to
the photos of the Romanovs.

Dave Spencer

David F. Spencer, PhD
Dept. of Biochemistry