Spams on Bionet

David Micklem drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 27 15:15:02 EST 1997

In article <5p0oj5$30g1 at ncisun1-nf0.ncifcrf.gov>, pnh at ncifcrf.gov (Paul N
Hengen) wrote:

>Dom Spinella (dspinella at chugaibio.com) wrote:
>
>> So what's the story with all the recent teen porn spams in this
>> usegroup? I'm for free speech as much as the next guy, but surely there
>> are plenty of other sites on the web where this stuff is more
>> appropriate. Any way we can filter this junk out?  Any ideas Dr. Hengen
>> sir?  -- D.G. Spinella

Paul - sorry to hear you'll be leaving us for a while.  Good luck with the
job search.

Maybe its time to get the bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts newsgroup moderated?
That'd be quite a lot of work for someone given the volume of messages.

I think it should be feasible to have a form of automoderation in which any
message with $$ or !!! or Teen or ** or unlikely punctuation in the email
address (eg semi-colons) would be sent to the moderator for
approval/rejection, while others would be posted immediately. [Maybe
someone could analyse SPAM for statistically significant indicators -
perhaps disagreements within the headers indicating forging...]

A carfully worded advert or spam could slip through, but the vast majority
would be caught....

I can't help with the unsolicited Email - I get a fair bit too.  If you
want to track the perpetrators and complain to their internet providers,
the WHOIS server on http://www.fmp.com/cgi-bin/whois.pl along with careful
examination of the headers can help identify them.

For example, one of the most recent spams I've spotted here:
>spam-removed-bionet
>
>Adults Only

was from:

PlanetFun.Com (SUCKTHIS-DOM)
   4011 NASA Rd.1 #400
   Seabrook, TX 77586
   US
(or Houston, TX 77586)

   Domain Name: SUCKTHIS.COM

   Administrative Contact:
      Smiley, John  (JS4525)  webmaster at PLANETFUN.COM or met at NEOSOFT.COM
      281-326-2563 (FAX) 281-326-2563
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Schmidt, David C  (DCS9)  david at GALAXY-NET.COM
      408-559-5504 (FAX) 408-559-5507
   Billing Contact:
      Smiley, John  (JS4525)  webmaster at PLANETFUN.COM
      281-326-2563 (FAX) 281-326-2563

   Record last updated on 11-May-97.
   Record created on 11-May-97.
   Database last updated on 27-Jun-97 05:42:48 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.GALAXY-NET.NET           207.90.164.20
   NS2.GALAXY-NET.NET           207.90.164.30

and Galaxy-Net, who provide them with a server are available for complaints on:

Galaxy-Net (GALAXY-NET2-DOM)
   1475 South Bascom Ave., Ste. 298
   Campbell, CA 95008

   Domain Name: GALAXY-NET.NET

   Administrative Contact:
      Lindsay, Michael  (ML626)  michael at GALAXY-NET.COM
      408-559-5500
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Schmidt, David C  (DCS9)  david at GALAXY-NET.COM
      408-559-5504 (FAX) 408-559-5507

The Teen Porn ones, which have appeared EVERYWHERE several times are:

Nasty Networks, Inc. (TEEN-PORNO-DOM)
   3366 Mountain View Road
   Des Moines, IA 08066
   USA

   Domain Name: TEEN-PORNO.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Arland, William  (WA442)  webmaster at SEXY-GIRLS.COM
      208-236-4965
   Billing Contact:
      Arland, William  (WA442)  webmaster at SEXY-GIRLS.COM
      208-236-4965

   Record last updated on 17-Jun-97.
   Record created on 29-May-97.
   Database last updated on 27-Jun-97 05:42:48 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS2.NASTYNET.NET             206.42.19.130
   NS2.LHE.NET                  206.42.19.8

Lighthouse Engineering (LHE2-DOM)
   425 Fountainhead Circle #204
   Kissimmee, FL 34741

   Domain Name: LHE.NET

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Piel, K Scott  (KSP5)  ScottPiel at LHOUSEENG.COM
      1-407-935-9939
   Billing Contact:
      Piel, K Scott  (KSP5)  ScottPiel at LHOUSEENG.COM
      1-407-935-9939

   Record last updated on 15-Jun-97.
   Record created on 14-Apr-97.
   Database last updated on 27-Jun-97 05:42:48 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.LHE.NET                  206.42.19.7
   NS2.LHE.NET                  206.42.19.8

Well, I doubt the NASTY-NET lot'll care much, but Lighthouse Engineering
might be a bit upset to learn about their good name being sullied...

See links from http://www.fmp.com/spam_patrol/ for a whole bunch of ways to
track/harass spammers.

David

--
D.R.Micklem,                                Time flies like an arrow...
Wellcome/CRC Institute,            Fruit flies like a banana.
Cambridge CB2 1QR, UK               Email:drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Unsolicited mail will incur a US$100 processing charge.