DNA purification from mouse tails

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Wed Mar 5 14:46:01 EST 1997

In article <3.0.1.32.19970305160856.0068855c at pop.kubism.ku.dk>,
T.Jensen at immi.ku.dk says...

>I am looking for an easy protocol (or a Kit) in order to purify DNA from
>the tail of the mouse. The DNA should be used to test knock-out mice by PCR
>genotyping.
>
>Sincerely
>Teis

Check out Laird et al. (Nucleic Acids Res., 19, p15 [1991])
This is cheap and as fool proof as it gets (no phenol!).

The DNA is fine for PCR and Southern analysis.  I use the variation
of spooling on a pipette and let it drain quite thoroughly rather
than merely blotting it.  I also habitually rinse the lump of DNA with
70% ethanol before drying it and reconstituting in TE.  I've done this
with many hundreds of tail samples with almost no failures.  You get
the best yield if you put the tail straight into the digestion buffer
(storage at -80degC seems to drop the yield).
	If you will only be performing PCR analysis you may not have to
cut tails.  There are several protocols for amplifying DNA from plucked
hair, saliva etc.
	Good luck,
		Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.