automated sequencing

Steven Goldberg goldberg at bms.com
Thu Mar 6 13:12:57 EST 1997

In article <331CAEA9.3D9 at gemini.ci.uc.pt>, psantos at gemini.ci.uc.pt wrote:

> I want to buy an automated sequencing system.
> I would like to have your opinion about the following apparatus:
> - ABI Prism 310
> - ALF express
>
> Vendors: please don't contact me!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Paulo Santos
> LUSOTRANSPLANTE - Centro de Histocompatibilidade do Centro
> Faculdade de Medicina, piso 3
> Apartado 3004     3049 COIMBRA Codex  PORTUGAL
> Telephone: +351-39-33693
>            +351-39-20527
> Fax      : +351-39-33674

I have used the ALFexpress for about a year and it was one of the best
investments I have made.  I routinely get at least 500 bp of solid data
per reaction using double stranded plasmid sequencing and sometimes up to
750 or 800 bp.

Once you learn the system it is easy to use.  The only caveat would be if
you are doing a LOT of sequencing nearly every day since the ALFexpress
can hold 10 samples in one run.  But this should be sufficient for nearly
all lab applications.

Steve